Couldn't for the life of me remember whom I was supposed to inform, but my logic circuitry is still at least half operational, so I dug out my cell phone and went through my sent messages to get a hint of some kind. Ah yes, last time it was Mother, so that's probably how it's supposed to go down this time as well. Then nothing again until I'm sitting in my Mom's car and realize I have a pounding headache. We get home after a bewildering journey, we might as well be driving through Mars for all the places I recognize. Again, I know I'm supposed to know these places, but the visual data I'm receiving rings no bells whatsoever.
There are more surprises in store for me when I open my front door.
There's a tiny furry creature waiting for me on our doorstep, which
is quite astonishing. We have a cat? Ah yes, I guess we do. Wait, we
have three cats?? We've had them for seven years? Well, I'll
be damned. This time around I head straight to bed when I get home.
I'm hungry too, but the headache, confusion and tiredness win this
round. I sleep on and off until around 8 PM, when my headache finally
starts to abate and my head clears a bit. We take a short walk
outside with the family, which feels nice but also serves to remind
me of all the bits and pieces of my body that currently hurt. Like,
every single muscle in my body. Also my left hand, which is starting
to resemble Swiss cheese from all the holes the catheters have left
behind.
The walk around Hakaniemi was as bewildering as the drive home from
the hospital. I'm pretty sure I've stared at the same graffiti for
years, but I could swear I'd never laid eyes on them before. All the
tiny little stores I pass every day were new. It's hard to adequately
describe the feeling when logic tells you that you know this shit
like the back of your hand, but your eyes are treating everything as
new information. Let's hope tomorrow feels a bit more normal.
I'm still hopeful, though. I mean, if this whole treatment can
scramble my brain this badly, maybe it might actually nudge loose
some stuff I'd do better without.