perjantai 29. huhtikuuta 2016

Friday 29 April 2016 - Treatment 2

This time I'm a lot less nervous going in, which turns out to be a premature reaction. I'd love to tell you how cool and collected I was with the receiving nurse this time around, but there's a problem with that: I can't remember a fucking thing about coming to the hospital. I have a very light whiff of a memory from when my mom picked me up to go to the hospital, then I remember staring up at the oxygen mask for maybe half a second, and then... Nothing before waking up. Logic tells me that the room I woke up in was the exact same room as last time (the ward is not large), but it was a completely foreign place to me. Also I could swear I was alone in there the last time around, but now I have a feeling (not an actual memory, but more like something out of a barely remembered dream - in fact I'm not at all sure whether all these half-memories aren't pieces of a dream and not memories at all) there were many beds, maybe as many as... four? Five? But that can't possibly be right. Maybe it was a dream. Well, I can remember the first thing I thought of when I woke up. It was one word: Friday. Turns out failure stings even when your brain is all scrambled. Some things never change, do they.

The mock memories from the cookie-and-juice room feel foreign as well. It had to be the same room and the same corridor, but all of it had this very dreamlike, unreal quality. At the time of writing this I can't remember any details, all the memories I have are more like feelings or confused states of mind. Very hard to put into words, and alarming as all hell. One of the weirdest memories I have of that place is when my hair suddenly swung in front of my face and I experienced a moment of utter surprise and confusion when I saw that my hair was blue. When did that happen? (The day before yesterday, actually. I just couldn't summon the memory at the time.)

Still, the whole hospital episode has nothing on the journey home. My mother and stepfather pick me up again, and we drive through Alppila and Kallio, my hoods for more than ten years - and it's like driving through a strange city in a foreign country (on a remote, unknown planet). I don't recognize any of it. Again, the logic engine in my brain tells me that I've lived here for almost half my life, I should know these places, but none of what I see rings even a dim, remote bell. Everything is strange, there are no patterns which I recognize.

Now, all of you who know me know that patterns are one of my superpowers. That and remembering pretty much everything that's ever happened to me, every conversation I've ever had (which is not always a blessing, I'm telling you, but it is a handy tool in an argument - no chance to throw that old "but you SAID---" thing at me). I literally feel like I'm in someone else's head right now, that this amnesiac is not me, it can't be. My husband has been asking me surreptitious, memory-probing questions all day ("What was this book about? Who wrote The End of Eternity? Who was the main character in this movie?") and even when I can dig out the correct answer from the depths of my poor bewildered brain, which is maybe 20% of the time, it's damn hard work. Like literally digging through layers upon layers of earth to find even a glimmer of a memory. It's a good thing I'm an archaeologist in training, digging through filth is what I do.

Even our home feels strange. What are those jackets doing on that chair? Was that wall that color this morning? What's all this stuff in this box? It feels like walking through a childhood home you moved out of a long time ago, when someone else has been living in there for years. The layout is familiar but everything else is strange. This effect fades a bit after taking a meager five-hour nap (dead tired again, not as much appetite as last time but also not the aversion to food I normally feel), but everything still feels a bit like a dream. Unreal, somehow.

To be honest, I can sort of understand Hemingway after today. Don't worry, I'm not going to off myself like he did, but as another person whose existence revolves around memory and clear thought, I can understand the anxiety and panic this sudden insanity induces (although whether the treatment he received was the cause of his suicide remains debatable). I can also understand now why Alzheimer's patients tend to be generally fearful and angry at the world: nothing makes sense anymore. You know it's supposed to, but it doesn't. It's incredibly frightening and frustrating. At least I know why this is happening and I chose it myself, unlike those poor bastards.

Well, this is supposed to wear off, so here's to hoping. And if I can conquer this depression with a few weeks of utter confusion, it's a small price to pay. Tulta päin!