perjantai 29. huhtikuuta 2016

Tuesday 26 April 2016 - Treatment 1

Really, REALLY nervous before the appointment. Slept badly, but that's nothing new. Haven't been allowed to eat since the previous evening, but that's nothing new either. Mom drives me over and picks me up afterwards, since they won't let anyone leave without an aide, or, gods forbid, drive a car on their own. Sounds promising.

I try to act cool and unafraid in front of the nurse and probably fail miserably. She's sweet though, probably sees a bunch of terrified people every day. We go over the physical details one more time - nothing in my stomach so I won't be choked by my own vomit, no benzodiazepines in the last few days (I guess they interfere with the convulsion threshold?), my heart film was okay so it's safe to fry me. We talk a bit about the general anesthesia, since I've never experienced that either. She says I won't probably even notice it, it's fast and efficient and safe. Why does everybody keep repeating the word safe?
 
Into the belly of the beast. There are two nurses and an anesthesiologist in the treatment room. Everything is indeed very efficient: I'm quickly covered in electrodes, my heart (ECG), brain (EEG) and blood oxygen level are monitored and the anesthesia and muscle relaxant are administered through a catheter placed in the back of my left hand. An oxygen mask is placed above my head, which I'm very thankful for, I hate those things (or anything else, for that matter) covering my face. All this has taken less than two minutes, everyone is very professional. I'm lying in a hospital bed wearing my own clothes (with a loose-collared shirt on for the easy placement of electrodes, as requested) with my shoes, purse and jacket at the foot of the bed. One of the nurses tells me I'll be asleep soon. I experience mild disappointment over not having been asked to count backwards from ten.

Next the same nurse asks me how I'm feeling (It is the same nurse, right? Wasn't she wearing green slippers just a second ago?). I answer truthfully that I'm a bit nervous and she laughs, telling me that there's no need for that anymore, it's all over. This is a bit alarming for some reason, but since my thoughts seem to be covered in a thick layer of fog, I can't quite grasp what it is I'm supposed to be alarmed over. The nurse asks me to tell her which day of the week it is. I open my mouth to answer and realize that not only do I not know which day of the week it is, I can't remember ANY names for weekdays at all.
 
I can handle this, don't panic, I tell myself. I have Sherlockian powers of deduction at my disposal, I can make an educated guess if I just stay calm. I try to dig up some scraps of memory from my poor, confused brain, and stumble on the word SATURDAY. It doesn't sound quite right though, that word seems to belong somewhere at the very end of the week... Which has... eight? No, seven days! And Saturday is the second to last one of them in this corner of the world! I'm pretty sure there are no appointments for Saturdays. I glow with pride. Take that, Sherlock!

No, wait, I still didn't answer the question. I can't say Saturday, she'll think I'm a lunatic (which is... probably the reason I'm here in the first place, but never mind). I struggle for a moment longer and decide to tell her the truth: I really can't remember which day of the week it is. She tells me it's Tuesday, and suddenly, like the opening of a floodgate, all the other weekdays surge forward from my mind and settle in their correct places. It is, indeed, Tuesday. Well, at least I got Saturday in its right place.

Soon afterwards my head seems to clear up a bit and I sit up. I realize that I've been moved into another room to wake up, which explains the nurse's magical shoes. This is a waking up nurse, so she's probably used to stupid answers and confused people. After asking me a few additional questions which I clear a lot better than the previous ones, she escorts me into yet another room to drink some juice and nibble on a cookie. I don't seem to be dying, so they let me call my mother to come and pick me up.

My memories seem to be back intact (but how would I know if they weren't?) and I can remember coming to the hospital very clearly, I even take the right turns while climbing out of the basement. So far, so good. At home I realize I feel like I've been staying awake for four days in a row, I'm exhausted. I also realize that for the first time in years, I feel like I could eat everything. Every fucking thing in this house that's even remotely edible is going to be eaten by me RIGHT NOW. Very weird, I didn't even remember there was such a thing as an appetite. Can't tell if my depression took any hits or not, but I still have at least five treatments ahead of me, possibly as many as eleven, so there's still time for that particular demon to eat electricity (I like to think of the nurses and doctors as mages casting chain lightning on all the boogiemen in my brain, but maybe that's just me).

All in all, not the horror show of my nightmares, which is actually something of a disappointment. Let's see how this thing continues.